Tv series and the secret wish for eternity

Love Friday evenings! I stay in bed and watch my favourite show / shows: these days it's Vampire Diaries followed by House M.D.
First I watch VD online, connecting my laptop to my tv. The first reason I like it is Ian Somerhalder. He is definitely the perfect looking man. Once I put a picture of him as my wallpaper and I could not work at all. I was just staring at him. The show is about vampires and as a christian I should not watch it, but still, I do, one reason being Ian. The other is the plot -it is good, I have to admit.
Maybe there is another unconscious reason: the idea of eternal life. Probably this generalised fascination with vampires has something to do with our secret wish to live forever.
Though no one would ever say they want to live forever (because we know it's unrealistic), we actually think of ourselves as eternal beings.
I don't think people normally perceive themselves as being temporal, as being alive for only a limited time... which is strange... or maybe more strange is the fact that rationally we would not even dare to admit we see ourselves eternal, but deep down, secretly, this is how we actually perceive ourselves. Don't we?
As the Bible says: "He has even put eternity in their heart" (Ecclesiastes 3:11), we do have eternity in our heart!

Comments

Popular Posts